Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Coffee Break







This is one of those pieces that sort of evolved by itself.

I had already done a version of this car in green, but I was not happy with it.  The whole thing was just blah.  The car was too clean, the background was plain and flat, and the girl was waaaay too goofy. 

So I started over, taking the car out of town and putting it in the middle of nowhere, changing the color and adding some patina.  Now the car needed a new driver, someone less cheerfully creepy and with better fashion sense.  I found a girl who fit the bill waiting in a pile of sketches, minus the wings, which eventually became black.

  So why is she stretching in the middle of nowhere?  Well, she's been driving for 300 or so miles, traveling to point b, wherever that is.  And what might you need after driving 300 miles in a buggy-sprung bathtub, besides a good stretch?  That's right, coffee.  So... thermos.

Who is this winged woman?  Is she an angel or a devil?  Where is she going? Why has she traveled such a great distance, and why didn't she choose a more comfortable mode of transportation?  Like a Cadillac, maybe?  I mean, isn't it cramped in there with those wings?

I cannot answer these questions.  All I know for certain is that she's not drinking decaf.

As usual, painted in watercolor.  14x21 inches.  Prints available on ebay.  The original is available, contact me for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment